02 - 05 May
PORTRAITS: LIGHTING AND SENSITIVITY
02 - 05 May
Individual financing rate: 690 euros
Fabrice Courthial & Marie Couteux
+33(0)490 967 606
The four-day course will first focus on natural and artificial lighting and the relationship with the model. During group workshops, Frédéric Stucin will share his experiences, solutions and tips to conduct a session and learn about lighting.
During editing sessions and exchanges of points of view, the first days will combine technical and practical experiments during shoots with a more sensitive search of one's own aesthetic choices and the distance to take.
In the second stage, the participants will apply their choices in the field in real-life situations, relying especially on meetings arranged by the Rencontres d'Arles.
Seeking to express sensitivity and a singularity, the photographs will aim to achieve pre-determined goals.
Like a collective, participants will share their feelings, discuss their opinions of the work underway and examine the relationships between the images.
On the last day, a selection of work will be displayed at a small exhibition.
Frédéric Stucin studied decorative arts in Strasbourg and graduated from the École Nationale Supérieure Louis Lumière. In 2002, he began working on a regular basis with the daily Libération. His images are widely published in the French press, including Les Inrocks, Le Monde, Madame Figaro, Grazia, Express Styles and Technikart. At the same time, he carries out commissions for communication agencies. He also pursues more personal black & white street photography projects in the United States, with unabashed references to the genre’s great American masters such as Garry Winogrand, Lee Friedlander and Harry Callahan. The Only Bleeding series was published by Editions Le Bec en l'air.
Siteweb : fredericstucin.com
- A selection of around 30 images attesting to your practice (preferably on paper/format of your choice)
- Your camera, charger and cables
- 2 or 3 memory cards
- A Mac-compatible hard drive or your computer if you wish
- Number of participants: 6 to 12
- Begins: 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday
- Ends: 7:00 p.m. on Thursday
- Location: historic center near the Arles arena
- Access : stairs. 3 floors.
- Learn the various steps involved in creating a photo series
- Develop a point of view based on a selection of photographs
- Teaching staff : a professional photographer instructor, helped by an assistant from 6 attenders
- Logistic staff to facilitate shooting sessions (places, material, contacts…)
- Workshop held in both French and English :
Collective parts in French with a translation for non-French speakers.
One-to-one interviews could be in English.
- Mac computers
- Contact prints (6x4 in.)
- Studios with various accessories
- Lightening set up (Flashs, LED, Fresnel…)
- Digital camera (on demand)
- A photo library (app. 500 references)
- Private end-of-course interview and evaluation
- The instructor continuously evaluates the personal series
- Oral end-of-course evaluation
FORMALISATION AT THE END OF THE COURSE
- End-of-course certificate