17 - 21 May
Down to the bone
During the five day experience we will discuss content rather than form and how to make a coherent statement through sequencing for an exhibition, a portfolio or abook.Using photography as a scalpel. Perform visual surgery into a make-believe world. Getting to some kind of personal visual truth.Work is about making things as simple as possible, using one camera, one lens, one eye and time to waste. Walking, thinking, talking.Photographs consist on making an attempt to get to the core of things, people and places, by contemplation and acute action, by reduction not accumulation.
The participants will work on their personal obsessions and concerns. Focusing on pain of being and assuming the errors. Learn how to deal with fear and luck, cutting into the wound and trying to get down to the bone.So we can all learn a bit more and cheat death one more day.PAULO NOZOLINO
After studying at the London College of Printing from 1975 to 1978, Paulo Nozolino started to travel around the world: Europe, America and Asia. His work is regularly exhibited: at the Rencontres d’Arles, at the Museum de Arte Contemporânea de Serralves in Porto, at the Fnac Montparnasse, at the CCB in Lisboa He’s the author of some books « Penumbra », which traces 12 years of travel in the Arab world, « Far cry », and « Bone Lonely ». He received the Villa Médicis Hors les Murs bursary in 1994-1995, and many other prizes: the Oscard Banarck prize, the Deutscher Fotobuchpreis, the national photography great prize in Portugal.Galeria Quadrado AzulGalerie Les filles du calvaireartsy.net
Books published by Steidl
Video about Paulo Nozolino Arles exhibition in 2013
This workshop is not for digital photoshop liars, reportage, landscape or portrait photographers, conceptual artists or career seekers. It is a workshop for the unsure, the poets, the dreamers, all of those who feel they don’t fit in the system!
- Presentation of the profession of photographer
- Analysis of the participant's previous work
- Definition of a personal project
- Individual and collective photo sessions
- Analysis of the pictures taken, editing, and building of a unified, convincing series- Final one-to-one interview
- A selection of around 30 images attesting to your practice (preferably on paper/format of your choice)
- Your camera, charger and cables
- 2 or 3 memory cards
- A Mac-compatible hard drive or your computer if you wish
- Number of participants: 6 to 12
- Begins: 10:00 a.m. on Monday
- Ends: 7:00 p.m. on Friday, it followed by an exhibition until 9:00 pm
- Location: historic center near the Arles arena
- Learn the various steps involved in creating a photo series
- Develop a point of view based on a selection of photographs
- Taught by an instructor and an assistant
Workshop held in both French and English :
- Collective parts in French with a translation for non-French speakers.
- One-to-one interviews could be in English.
- Mac computers
- A photo library (app. 500 references)
- Various kinds of lighting systems, studio accessories, tripod, etc.
- Private end-of-course interview and evaluation
- The instructor continuously evaluates the personal series
- Oral end-of-course evaluation
FORMALISATION AT THE END OF THE COURSE
- End-of-course certificate
Dernière mise à jour : 05 March 2021