1 May - 4 May
Individual financing rate: 680 euros
Fabrice Courthial & Loïc Colomb
+33(0)490 967 606
This four-day course will tackle every aspect of making a photography book. By the time it’s over, participants will have created their own based on images, photographs, texts, etc. that they bring with them and on the extensive experience of Patrick Le Bescont, the director of Filigranes Éditions, whose catalogue includes nearly 600 artists’ books.
At first, the course will focus on editing, layout and the relationship between text and image. Then, participants will choose a binding (hardcover, blind blocking, postal book, Chinese binding), type of paper (rag, bible, rhodoid, adhesive, etc.) and printing method (phototype, offset, photographic prints, etc.).
Reflection and experimentation will eventually lead them to the right combination of visual and textual languages, forming the backbone of the book’s architecture.
Photography will be at the heart of the process, but there will also be a technical component: participants will learn how to make a dummy using layout software. Based on exploring already existing publications, these steps will touch on typography, binding, composition, etc.
- Photographs, portfolio, press book, etc...
- An external storage support compatible with Mac OS or a laptop computer for storing projects
- PLEASE SEND US, 20 PICTURES OR YOUR WEBSITE LINK BEFORE ANY REGISTRATION
- Language : depends on the audience (possibility of traduction during the workshop)
- Number of participant : from 5 to 10
- Starting time: the workshop begins on Wednesday at 9:30 A.M.
- Ending time: the workshop ends on Saturday at 6:30 pm, it followed by an exhibition until 9:30 pm
- Venue: historical centre of Arles, near the arenas
- Taught by an instructor and an assistant
- Mac computers
- A photo library (app. 500 references)
- Various kinds of lighting systems, studio accessories, tripod, etc.
- Private end-of-course interview and evaluation
- The instructor continuously evaluates the personal series
- Oral end-of-course evaluation
FORMALISATION AT THE END OF THE COURSE
- End-of-course certificate