23 April - 27 April
Individual financing rate: 780 euros
Fabrice Courthial & Loïc Colomb
+33(0)490 967 606
They will leave Arles for the Camargue and the vast area of Port-Saint-Louis du Rhône, exploring this place formed by and named after the river, which stretches to the shores of the Mediterranean. They can choose between industrial vestiges, a multi-faceted port city, a coast reshaped by human activities and preserved natural areas as subjects in their own right, the settings of a personal, intimate narrative or a simple pretext to meet the people living there.
They will alternate between shoots, editing sessions and discussions to find a leitmotiv and build a series.
Starting with the surrounding reality, the personal projects will be open to many approaches. Participants will be encouraged to use and develop their imaginations and sensitivity in order to strike the right note and play with subtle staging, as long as it allows them to express a personal view of the world.
This immersion into the delta’s branches aims to create not just a series of images but a coherent, meaningful body of work reflecting each participant’s sensibility, taking his or her own path and moving along at his or her own pace.
Born in Blois, Paris-based Claudine Doury won the 1999 Leica Oscar Barnack Award, the 2000 World Press Photo Award, the 2004 Niépce Prize for her body of work and the 2017 Prix Marc Ladreit de Lacharrière in partnership with the Académie des beaux-arts for her project "A Siberian Odyssey". She has published five books: Peuples de Sibérie (Le Seuil Editions), Artek, un été en Crimée (Editions La Martinière), Loulan Beauty (Editions du Chêne); Sasha (Editions Le Caillou Bleu) and l'homme nouveau (éditions filigranes). A member of the Vu agency, she is represented by La Galerie Particulière in Paris and the Box Galerie in Brussels.
Her work presented by her agency: www.agencevu.com
- Study and analysis of the photographs taken
- Daily shooting
- Daily trips in the Camargue (Port saint louis du Rhône) by mini-bus and car
- Technical session with a digital camera
- Definition of a personal subject
- Selections of the photographs taken
- A selection of around 30 images attesting to your practice (preferably on paper/format of your choice)
- Your camera, charger and cables
- 2 or 3 memory cards
- A Mac-compatible hard drive or your computer if you wish
- Clothing, bag, shoes, etc. appropriate for spending several hours outdoors.
- Number of participants: 6 to 12
- Begins: 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday
- Ends: 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, t followed by an exhibition until 9:30 pm
- Location: historic center near the Arles arena
- Learn the various steps involved in creating a photo series
- Develop a point of view based on a selection of photographs
- Taught by an instructor and an assistant
- Mac computers
- A photo library (app. 500 references)
- Various kinds of lighting systems, studio accessories, tripod, etc.
- Private end-of-course interview and evaluation
- The instructor continuously evaluates the personal series
- Oral end-of-course evaluation
FORMALISATION AT THE END OF THE COURSE
- End-of-course certificate