1 July - 2 July
Individual financing rate: 290 euros
Fabrice Courthial & Loïc Colomb
+33(0)490 967 606
will be back in 2021...
This day-and-a-half course will alternate between theory, shooting and editing.
Participants will share their experiences and select photos before turning to little experiments and discussions on depicting the body in photography, telling stories, surprising, attesting, raising awareness, questioning, etc. The goal will be to swiftly focus on the poses, distance and expressions of those being photographed and give meaning and coherence to the choice of treatments considered.
Then, Grégoire Korganow will help them work with models (some are dancers or actors). In this fast-paced course, each participant will transcribe a choice, a desire and an idea to isolate the person photographed or create interaction with his or her immediate surroundings to precisely direct or simply accompany the model as well as to think about movement, intimacy, light, feeling, etc.
The last step will involve editing to focus on successful shots, surprises and avenues to explore.
Gregoir Korganow began his career as a photojournalist in 1991 and for twenty years worked for the press (The New York Times, Geo, Liberation, Télérama, Marie Claire). He directed several personal series, often supported by cultural structures, foundations, public institutions. Works that are regularly exhibited in recent years at the Rencontres d'Arles, Visa for the image, the European House of Photography (MEP), the Triennale of Milan. Graduate of Applied Arts at the Estienne school in Paris before becoming a professional, he also teaches photography in particular at the Faculty Paris 1 in 2012. Several of his series led to the publication of books, notably: Père et Fils (2016, Neus); Prisons 67065 (2015, Neus, Edition The Beautiful Letters); I was dead (2010, Edition The Nail in Iron); Patagonia, stories from the end of the world (2004, Solar Edition); To be 20 years old in Santiago de Chile (2003, Alternatives Publishing). Since 2016 Grégoire Korganow has been supporting the Père et Fils series around the world during residencies, notably in Brazil and China.
- A selection of around 30 images attesting to your practice (preferably on paper/format of your choice)
- Your camera, charger and cables
- 2 or 3 memory cards
- A Mac-compatible hard drive or your computer if you wish
- Number of participants: 6 to 12
- Begins: 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday
- Ends: 1:00 p.m. on Thursday
- Location: historic center near the Arles arena
- Access : stairs. 3 floors.
- Learn the various steps involved in creating a photo series
- Develop a point of view based on a selection of photographs
- Teaching staff : a professional photographer instructor, helped by an assistant from 6 attenders
- Logistic staff to facilitate shooting sessions (places, material, contacts…)
- Workshop held in both French and English :
Collective parts in French with a translation for non-French speakers.
One-to-one interviews could be in English.
- Mac computers
- Contact prints (6x4 in.)
- Studios with various accessories
- Lightening set up (Flashs, LED, Fresnel…)
- Digital camera (on demand)
- A photo library (app. 500 references)
- Private end-of-course interview and evaluation
- The instructor continuously evaluates the personal series
- Oral end-of-course evaluation
FORMALISATION AT THE END OF THE COURSE
- End-of-course certificate