21 July - 24 July
Individual financing rate: 680 euros
FABRICE COURTHIAL & LOÏC COLOMB
+33(0)490 967 606
will be back in 2021...
This workshop aims to help photographers refine their creative language and deepen their personal investment. They will explore their desires, passion, personal and intimate stories, obsessions and discoveries, revealing what is specific to us and what will make their photography relevant, sincere and singular.
After a first stage of experimenting, thinking and sharing, Jean-Christian Bourcart will help participants complete individual projects, focusing on the elements of photographic syntax, framing, lighting, the relationship to the subject, rhythm and distance through trial and error until coherent, innovative series emerge.
Decisions based on habit or preconceived ideas will be avoided as much as possible.
This intensive four-day course will focus on developing a deeper understanding of the creative process by grasping opportunities to try new forms.
Jean-Christian Bourcart studied at E.T.P.A. Toulouse before joining the Rapho agency in 1990 as a portraitist and specialist in intimate subjects. His work has been exhibited at major museums and international festivals, including the Rencontres d’Arles in 2008 and 2009, Centre Culturel Français in Phnom Penh, Musée du Jeu de Paume in Paris and International Photo Exhibition in Shanghai. He won the World Press Photo award in 1991, Prix du Jeu de paume in 2007, Prix Niepce in 2010 and Prix Nadar in 2011. His photographs are in the collections of MOMA in New York and the Fond National d’Art Contemporain, M.E.P. and M.A.M.C.O. in Geneva. He is represented by the VU’ gallery in Paris and the BANKS gallery in Shanghai.
- Discussions about the participant's earlier work
- Realization of an individual project, with photographie or other discipline
- Individual shooting sessions
- First selections and file management on computer
- Editing sessions with the insctructor
- Reflexions and experimentations of photographic set ups
- Building of a unified series
- Discussion as assessment of the workshop
- A selection of around 30 images attesting to your practice (preferably on paper/format of your choice)
- Your camera, charger and cables
- 2 or 3 memory cards
- A Mac-compatible hard drive or your computer if you wish
- Number of participants: 6 to 12
- Begins: 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday
- Ends: 6:30 p.m. on Friday (it followed by an exhibition until 9:30 pm)
- Location: historic center near the Arles arena
- Access : stairs. 3 floors.
- Learn the various steps involved in creating a photo series
- Develop a point of view based on a selection of photographs
- Teaching staff : a professional photographer instructor, helped by an assistant from 6 attenders
- Logistic staff to facilitate shooting sessions (places, material, contacts…)
- Workshop held in both French and English :
Collective parts in French with a translation for non-French speakers.
One-to-one interviews could be in English.
- Mac computers
- Contact prints (6x4 in.)
- Studios with various accessories
- Lightening set up (Flashs, LED, Fresnel…)
- Digital camera (on demand)
- A photo library (app. 500 references)
- Private end-of-course interview and evaluation
- The instructor continuously evaluates the personal series
- Oral end-of-course evaluation
FORMALISATION AT THE END OF THE COURSE
- End-of-course certificate